Halloween is a fun time of year for children of all ages. It is exciting to dress up in costumes from scary to funny and spend the evening trick-or-treating. AKE Safety Equipment wants to make sure that everyone has a safe and fun Halloween by sharing some great safety tips for the entire family.
1. Do not choose costumes with billowing or traveling fabric. Children could trip on the costume as they are trick-or-treating. Also, make sure that the eye holes in face masks are large enough to see out.
2. If you buy a costume, check to see that the label says, “Flame Resistant”. If you are making a costume, buy flame resistant fabrics such as polyester and nylon. These materials will resist burning if exposed to fire.
3. Give children a flashlight or glow-stick to carry as they trick-or-treat. Children should never carry candles when they are trick-or-treating.
4. Tell your children to stay away from the open flames of candles and jack-o-lanterns. Their costumes could catch on fire.
5. Keep dried flowers, corn stalks and crepe paper decorations far away from open flames and heat sources, including light bulbs and heaters.
6. To prevent burning when lighting candles inside of a jack-o-lantern, use long fireplace style matches or a utility lighter.
7. Place candles and lit pumpkins away from anything that can burn and out of the way of trick-or-treaters, doorsteps and walkways.
8. If you are having a Halloween party, make sure to check for discarded cigarette butts in your home in places such as seat cushions and vases.
9. If your children are going to Halloween parties, tell them to look for ways out of the home if there is an emergency.
10. Use only decorated lights that are laboratory tested for safety by a known testing laboratory. Check for broken light bulbs, frayed cords and loose connections. Throw away the damaged sets. Also, don’t overload extension cords!
AKE Safety Equipment wishes everyone a safe and happy Halloween!