College Fire Safety Guide

Dorm Safety

It’s that time of the year when students go back to their studies after summer break. Just because summer is over, doesn’t mean fire safety isn’t important anymore! This is especially true for college students.

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), on average, there are over 3,800 campus fires that occur each year with 88% of them caused by cooking fires, and a majority of those are related to burning popcorn in the microwave (yuck!).

Another major cause of fires in college dorms and apartments include overloaded power strips. It is important to know what appliances your college allows in the dorm, and not to plug in too many items into a power strip. The last major cause of fires are heat related sources such as candles and space heaters.

Rarely, but still a cause is also arson.

AKE Safety Equipment wants to make sure that college students are aware of fire hazards so they can focus on their studies! We put together the best list of easy fire safety tips for college students!

Easy Fire Safety Tips for College Students

  1. If living in a multi-person housing situation, choose one where fire sprinklers are installed (i.e dormitories, dorm rooms, campus buildings, and off-campus housing).
  2. Make sure you have working fire alarms that are up to code, and where to go in case of a fire.
  3. Remember to create an escape plan to get out of your dorm or apartment
  4. For off-campus living, ask the landlord when the heating system was last inspected, or if filters need to be changed.

Beware of Candles! 

Most on-campus housing does not allow candles. If you live off-campus, check with your landlord for candle usage.

  • Place candles in sturdy candle holders
  • Use flameless candles whenever possible
  • Do not keep anything flammable around a burning candle
  • Extinguish the candles after using

Microwave Popcorn Can Be Dangerous!

  • Cook only in designated areas
  • Cook only when you are alert, not sleepy or drowsy
  • Keep cooking areas clean and free from anything that is flammable and can burn
  • Always keep an eye on what you are cooking
  • If a fire starts in the microwave oven, keep the doors shut and immediately unplug the unit

Electrical Fires Are Very Dangerous

  • Never use extension cords with large appliances
  • Do not overload electrical outlets
  • Unplug hairdryers, curling irons, and hair-straighteners when they are not in use and never leave these items unattended in your room
  • Always check with your college and landlord to see what small appliances and electrical items are allowed

Sources:

The College Student’s Guide to Fire Safety and Education 

National Fire Protection Association

U.S. Fire Administration

One thought on “College Fire Safety Guide

Leave a Reply