The warm weather entices us to start up our grill and have an old fashioned cook-out! Before we, and you, start up the grill this year, AKE Safety Equipment wants to keep your backyard BBQs safe this grilling season by sharing some great grilling safety tips to keep you, your family, and your food safe!
1. The grill should be placed away from the home, deck railings and overhanging branches. Clear away flammable debris that is near the area where the grill is placed.
2. Propane and charcoal barbecue grills should only be used outdoors.
3. Never leave a grill unattended.
4. Keep children and pets at least 3 feet away from the grill.
5. Clean the grill after every use. Remove grease or fat build-up from the grill and in the trays below the grill.
6. For charcoal grills -if you use starter fluid to enhance or start the fire, use only charcoal starter fluid. Do not add any other flammable fluids to the fire.
7. When you are finished using the charcoal grill, let the coals completely cool before deposing them in a metal container for disposal.
8. Propane tank grills -before using the grill for the first time in the season, check the tank hoses for leaks. If you smell gas while cooking on the grill, immediately get away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not move the grill!
9. Make sure that the grill is placed in a well-ventilated area and is firmly in place and stable (cannot be tipped over).
10. Use long-handled utensils when cooking on a grill to avoid burns and splatters.
11. Do not wear loose fitting clothing near the open flame of a grill. Use flame–retardant mitts when adjusting hot vents and grills.
12. Keep a portable fire extinguisher near the grilling station for emergency purposes.